This recipe serves 4
- 2 medium acorn squash
- halved down the middle, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups tightly packed torn kale
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons panko
1. Heat oven to 375°.
2. Cut a thin slice off round side of each squash half to create a stable base. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; coat with cooking spray.
3. Place squash flesh side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until golden and tender, 30 minutes.
4. Remove from oven; flip squash and set aside.
5. Heat broiler.
6. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add sausage; cook, breaking into coarse pieces, until brown, 6 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
7. To same skillet, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and leek; cook until leek is soft, 3 minutes.
8. Add garlic; cook, 30 seconds. Add kale and toss; add broth. Cover and cook until kale is tender, 5 minutes; stir in sausage.
9. Divide kale-sausage filling among squash.
10. In a bowl, combine walnuts, Parmesan and panko; sprinkle evenly over squash bowls and coat with cooking spray. Broil until panko is golden, 2 minutes.